Wednesday, December 9, 2015


Let me tell you a story. Okay. Here we go.

Fifth grade me was watching MTV 2 because you know music used to be on a network about music. Saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKz2U4fvA4U


I will never forget December 3, 2015 when I was sitting on my couch late into the evening, and saw that Scott Weiland had passed away. I have never gotten shook with news about a celebrity I’ve never met, or yet alone even seen perform live in person. I can’t say it was a surprise, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t, and isn’t very sad.

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, those guys I love too. But how much of that do I remember, or was present in the moment for? None.

In between that time, Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver filled my ears with joy, excitement, ferocity, and more joy.

I think most people would agree that Scott will be remembered most for his contributions to Stone Temple Pilots, and rightfully so. One of the staples of the Grunge Era, this band constantly evolved into a different sounding band, which some people like, and some don’t. I don’t know you guys I’m just rambling here. No album sounded the same. “Core,” the band’s first had the most hits (IMO), but each album had a really, really, really likeable sound, and a song or two depending on your mood.

5 Favorite STP songs
1.       Wicked Garden
2.       Crackerman
3.       Piece of Pie
4.       Big Empty
5.       Down

Honorable Mentions: Interstate Love Song, Plush (Of Course)

Velvet Revolver was a little closer to my soul because the band featured some of the core members of Guns N’ Roses. It was disappointing to see this band go so soon after only releasing two albums. If you are ever bored, and want to see a great Scott Weiland performance, watch 2007 Rock Am Ring with VR on Youtube. I really wish I saw this band live. They played their hits, some STP hits, and some Guns, the good stuff like “Mr. Brownstone” and “It’s So Easy.”

5 Favorite VR songs (IMO)
1.       Slither (Duh)
2.       Sucker Train Blues
3.       She Builds Quick Machines
4.       Dirty Little Thing
5.       Fall to Pieces

Honorable Mentions: Let it Roll, Do It For the Kids

I feel bad that Scott struggled with addiction, and that at this point it seems that it had a lot to do, if not all to do with his passing. But I just want to say that despite knowing this guy had his problems, I still really enjoyed listening to him, and regret the few times I could have seen some version of him live. Hopefully Scott will be remembered for his David Bowie like stage presence, and his ability to write lyrics that were from the soul.

May Scott rest in peace, and may his music live on.

-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment